Healthy Fats: What To Buy?
- Look for oil separation, not “stir free”
- Ingredient label should have few ingredients. Ex: Peanuts and salt
- Look for Peanut butter made from Valencia peanuts (Costco or trader Joes)
- Avoid partially hydrogenated or hydrogenated oils (man made trans-fats- BAD!)
- Avoid palm oil ingredients
- Look for Organic and Non-GMO nut butters to ensure the best!
- Best oil: Organic, Extra Virgin Olive oil (cold-pressed/stone pressed/unfiltered)
- 2nd best: Extra Virgin Olive oil
- 3rd best: light or virgin olive oil (these are more refined and cheaper oils)
- Look for Harvest Date between November and December
- “Best Buy date” isn’t reliable. Ex: 2010-2012 Buy oils closest to the 2010 date to prevent buying rancid oils
- Higher quality oil in bulk! Costco and Sam’s are a great place to buy
- Don’t focus on where its made (Italy) but more importantly on how its made
- Look for Dark Bottled oils
Other Cooking Oils
- Organic/Non-GMO is always going to be your best choice
- Healthy oils to use are Avocado oil, Hemp oil, extra virgin coconut oil (cold pressed), grapeseed oil, Ghee, flaxseed oil, Extra virgin Olive oil, and walnut oil
- Avoid or limit vegetable oils like soybean, sunflower, safflower, cottonseed or canola (unless they are organic, Non-GMO)
- Look for cold pressed, stone pressed, expeller pressed oils
- Look for cooking sprays like Avocado oil or olive oil
- Avoid cooking sprays with chemical expellers (canola/vegetable oil spray)
- Cooking tips: reference or Google “oil smoke points” so you understand what oil to use to avoid rancid oils.
- Best: Organic Non-GMO GRASS FED dairy/cheese/butter (LOTS of Nutrients)
- 62% higher omega 3s, 5x more CLAs (fat burning fats and a reduction in -cardiovascular disease)
- Large amounts of beta-carotene
- Large amounts of B vitamins, calcium, protein, phosphorus, antioxidants, and iodine
- Look for Organic grass fed whole fat milk, organic grass fed unsweetened full fat yogurt or local raw milk (from a reliable source)
- 2nd best: Organic 2% milk or yogurt
- Avoid or limit conventional 2% milk, fat free milk and fat free yogurt
- Buying tip: Goat cheese/yogurt has A2 casein protein (It can be easier on your digestion)
- Buying tip: Lactose issues try Parmesan or hard cheeses
- 100% grass-fed or grass finished cheese/butter
- Best choice: Grass fed cheese (New Zealand) and butter (KerryGold) can be found at Trader Joe’s, ALDI, Walmart, Target, Hyvee, Whole Foods, natural grocers
- Buying tip: Look for a private labeled cheese companies vs. Kraft (large company)
Omega 3 Fish Oil
- Best: Innate Choice OmegAD (Buy in Dr.Bryan’s office)
- 2nd best: OmegaGenics EPA/DHA 2400 (buy at www.bryanvoithofer.metagenics....) (20% off your first online order with free shipping over $49)
- 3rd best: Omega genics EPA/DHA 1000 (buy at www.bryanvoithofer.metagenics....) (20% off your first online orders with free shipping over $49)
- Best: Organic Non-GMO 100% Grass fed or grass finished meats are very high in nutrients (make sure to read front and back of the label)
- 6x as much Omega 3s vs. to grain fed cows
- A healthy ratio Omega 6 to Omega 3 anti-inflammatory fats (2:1)
- 2x the amount of CLA’s vs. grain fed cows
- High amounts of Vitamin A and E
- Cooking tip: Cooks 30% faster than conventional meats
- Can Purchase at ALDI, Walmart, Target, Trader Joes, Costco, Hyvee, Bakers all range between $4.99-$6/lbs
- 2nd best: 100% Grass fed or grass finished
- Avoid or limit commercial meats (Increases inflammatory response in body causing pain, heart disease, cancers) due to Omega 6 to Omega 3 ratio at (17:1)
- Buying tip: 80/20 100% Grass Fed or finished is best for flavor!
- Buying tip: Avoid blade tenderized steaks for fillet, ribeye, prime rib. This allows for bacteria to enter meat
Fats That Burn Fat
- MCT: 6-12 carbon chain saturated fats: www.bryanvoithofer.metagenics.... for MCT oil or powders
- Caprylinc acid (c8)
- Caproic acid (c6)
- Lauric acid (c12)
- Capric acid (c10)
- Source: coconut milk, coconut cream, coconut meat, grass fed butter, cashews, organic feta cheese, organic swiss cheese, organic fontina cheese, organic mozzarella cheese,
- Best: Organic Pasture raised eggs (Chickens have at least 108sqft to move)
- 7x more vitamin E (7.37mg) vs. conventional (.97mg)
- 2x more vitamin A (763IU) vs. conventional (487IU)
- 7x more beta-carotene (76.2mcg) vs. conventional (10mcg)
- 200x more folate (10,200mcg) vs. conventional (47mcg)
- 21x more omega 3 (.033g) vs. conventional (.71g)
- Half the cholesterol (292mg) vs. conventional(423mg)
- Half the saturated fat (2.31g) vs. conventional (3.1g)
- 2nd best: Organic free range (chickens are still in chicken coop but have ability to go outside to eat and move but doesn’t mean they are eating bugs and grass)
- 3rd best: avoid or limit Organic Cage Free (Chickens are in crowded coops and have about 1 sqft to move around. They eat mostly GMO corn and soy)
- Buy organic and local if possible. Use website to locate local farmers. www.cornucopia.org
Remember These Tips:
- Even though you are paying more for healthier food, please realize that you are paying for the extra nutrients to fuel your body. You have one body that God blessed you with. Have respect for it and fuel it with the best that you can.
- Try to keep your foods in their most natural occurring state as possible such as whole foods likes vegetables, apples, pears etc. Your body will recognize these whole foods and absorb the nutrients much better then processed or boxed foods.
More information on how to find Grass-fed/ finished meat and dairy products, check out these websites:
Dr. Bryan's Deviled Eggs
- 10 eggs
- 1.5 TBS Avocado Mayo
- 1.5 TBS Dijon Mustard
- ½ tsp Black Pepper or to taste
- ½ tsp Turmeric or to taste
1. Place eggs in a pot and fill with enough water to cover. Bring the water and eggs to a boil, then set a timer for 20 minutes.
2. Drain the water from the eggs then peel the shell from the eggs. Cut the eggs in half, separate the yolk from the whites. Keep the whites on a separate plate for later.
3. Put the yolks in a medium sized bowl and add the ingredients above. Mix well with a fork or hand mixer.
4. Pipe or spoon the yolk mix to each egg white half.
5. Top with bacon if desired.
Omaha Chiropractic Care
Omaha Chiropractor | Personal Injury Chiropractic | Auto Accident Treatment | Sports Chiropractic | Pain Management Care | Wellness Care | Stretch Therapy | And More
Dr. Bryan is the leading Omaha chiropractic clinic focusing on pain management and wellness care. Our clinic focuses on both the body and the soul. We treat all ages from 0 to age 99.
Since 2012, our Omaha chiropractor, Bryan Voithofer, D.C., C.F.M.P has offered a well-rounded approach to your whole-body wellness. We offer a variety of chiropractic services, including chiropractic care, stretch therapy, ultrasound, electric stimulation, nutrition supplements and counseling, and spiritual uplifting when needed.
Dr. Bryan is a faith-filled, dedicated, honest, and patient centered chiropractor. He will find the root of your problem in a holistic way to eliminate your pain in as few visits as possible. Our Omaha chiropractor will relieve pain, restore function, and help you regain your lost lifestyle without medication or surgery.
If you or your child have back pain, neck pain, sciatica, whiplash, joint pain, headaches, migraines, car accident injuries, pregnancy pain, childbirth pain, ear infections, post-surgical back pain, sports injuries, sacroiliac joint pain, shoulder pain, stiffness, aching, digestive problems, sinus problems, etc, let us be your solution. Please give us a call: 402-676-9544.
Because we are joint and muscle pain management specialists, we are often able to get results that no one else can.
Our Omaha Chiropractic clinic accepts personal injury insurance, car insurance, HSA, Flex Spending, Check, Credit Card, and Cash. Call us and we’ll assist you in navigating your benefits: (402) 676-9544.